CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Place Value POUNCE!


I’m working on some number sense math centers, and have come up with a fun one for place value!  I think that my kiddos are really going to like this one!  Place value is such an important skill, and kids who really struggle with number sense need repeated practice here. 

So, the latest game going into my math center rotation is “Place Value POUNCE!”  This card game is sort of a cross between “War” and “Slap Jack.”  Students will play in pairs and evenly divide a set of number cards.  They spin a spinner and see what digit they will be hunting for (for example, highest 10, lowest 100, highest 1). Next, they turn over two cards and “pounce” (gently—hee hee) on the card that meets that spin.  The player who collects all of the number cards wins!  I think they’ll love playing the game, and at the same time they will be needing to instantly recognize ones, tens, hundreds and thousands. 



The number cards are really cute, and I'll be making a few spinners and sets of cards to have on hand at my math station.   


Click HERE to get your copy of Place Value POUNCE!

0 comments:

Post a Comment