CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Christmas Around the World


Are the holidays REALLY on the way?  I have to say the unseasonably warm weather these last few days has kept me referring to the Christmas lights around town to be sure that it’s December!  This Ohio girl is missing the snow now and then! However, I won't complain, will I?  :)

I LOVE this time of year, and the excitement in the air.  It’s so fun to relive Christmas through the eyes of the kids, and to celebrate meaningful traditions all over again.  So, it is time again to bring out my favorite Christmas activity: “Christmas Around the World.”  Coming from a community where there is rich diversity and learners from all over the globe, I love learning with the students the many special different ways that cultures celebrate this time of year.

A few years back, I created this Smart notebook “Christmas Around the World.”  Designed for the primary grades, this highly interactive Smart notebook explores how Italy, Germany, Mexico, Sweden, Israel and Holland celebrate the holidays. This 24-page notebook includes information on peoples, homes, people, and foods from each country, and includes web links and even sound clips! Students can touch the menorah to light the candles, "unwrap" presents to see hidden pictures--even play the dreidel game and learn to say "Merry Christmas" in different languages! This lesson also highlights map skills, and can be used to supplement a Social Studies holiday unit. I use this in the classroom in combination with art projects and literature.  It's lots of fun and can be enjoyed at once, or over a series of days as students study the various countries.






One quick note:  there are several web links embedded in the notebook and at first they may appear to be uncooperative.  Opening Firefox as your browser should do the trick, and they should all work fine! J  Allow a few seconds to load, but each link is worth it!  Check out my TPT store to see more and hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment