CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Math scavenger hunt!

I just LOVE the FALL! J  It’s my favorite season hands-down.  I realize that Labor Day is tomorrow and that technically it’s still summer, but fall is on the way!

My daughter (a high school senior) was chatting with me about a fun scavenger hunt that they did in her math class.  Basically, there were problems posted around the room, and the students had to answer a question and then find that correct answer on top of another question card in the room.  The moment I heard that, light bulbs started going off and I thought about how FUN it would be to do this with my 3rd graders!  I love being able to get kids up and moving as they learn, and am always looking for new and unique math activiites.  Meanwhile, I came across some ADORABLE fall clip art, and my “FALL in love with MATH scavenger hunt” came to be!  I can’t wait to try this with my class this week!  Here's a look at the question cards.  


Basically, the answer in bold at the top of the card is the correct answer to a different question in the hunt.  This allows the students to check for accuracy as they complete the activity and also lets kids start with any question card and still complete all 10 questions in sequence.  This set includes 10 question cards that focus on number sense, math reasoning, and addition and subtraction with and without regrouping.  

I’ve modified the scavenger hunt for younger students with fall pictures so that students can easily match the question card picture to the same picture on their recording sheet.  J  I also have my students get into the regular habit of showing their work so I added a “workspace” on the student recording sheet too.  

There’s an answer key as well, making this all set for use!   If you’d like to “FALL in love with MATH” with your class, click HERE!

0 comments:

Post a Comment